Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Open Faced Chicken Cordon Bleu


I found this in the May issue of Gourmet in their 10-Minute Meals section: Open Faced Chicken Cordon Bleu


While it doesn't clock in at the 15 minutes the recipe claims, it is pretty fast.

Overall, pretty tasty, but edging on the bland side. I suspect that, in large part, this was because I did not get the cutlets down to 1/4" thick. The Jewel chicken breast is insanely thick as it is, so I was happy to get them down to a consistent 1/2".

When sauteeing, I saw that the bottom was getting to the golden brown described in the recipe, but the top was nowhere near done. I flipped them to cook them through, rather than overcook (or burn) the bottom, which worked fairly well.

But I suspect that the sheer volume of the chicken overwhelmed the taste of the ham and cheese.

The spinach and Gruyère are going to make an encore appearance this weekend when I try out some grilled veal roll-ups for which they are the filling.

No comments: