Sunday, August 26, 2007

Aloo Ghobi

This is one of the last of the Chopping Block class recipes. It was, actually, my favorite for eating, but due to the logistics of the class, it's the one I had no hand in the cooking. Jenni and my station partners were really good about keeping us updated on which step they were on, but it's not quite the same. I did get to practice my knife skills from the previous week and I am making progress on breaking my bad habits. It's a shame about the cooking part, because I have been curious about making Aloo Ghobi specifically since I saw the DVD extra of Bend It Like Beckham where the director makes it while her mother and aunt. But this recipe is a proven winner to me, so I'll be giving this one a shot myself, but in the meantime...

ALOO GOBHI
1 cauliflower, cut into flowerettes

1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
4 potatoes, large dice
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon garam masala
3 tomatoes, chopped or 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons cilantro, rough chopped
Salt to taste

Heat a saute pan over medium low heat and add oil. Saute cumin seeds, ginger and garlic until tender. Add the potatoes, turmeric, chili powder and garam masala. Allow the spices to toast, about 1-2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add cauliflower and simmer covered for 15 minutes (add 1/2 cup of water if too dry). Finish by adding the chopped cilantro and season to taste with salt.

No comments: