Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Roast Green Beans

Ugh.

I'm going through all of my old cooking magazines (95% Bon Appetit and Gourmet), tearing out the keepers and pitching the actual magazines. In the process, I had skimmed an article in a recent Cook's Illustrated (which is a new subscription and, being so content-heavy, will NOT be purged any time soon) on Roasted Green Beans.

I had about 2 pounds of beans in the fridge and we needed a vegetable for dinner on Sunday. I absolutely love wrinkled green beans from Chinese restaurants and this article mentioned that effect came from (or perhaps can come from) roasting. I didn't want to spend any time on this, so I skimmed the recipe and got this:

Put rinsed green beans on a baking sheet. Season with olive oil, baslamic vinegar, salt & pepper. Roast for 10-12 minutes @ 450F, toss and continue for another 10-12.

Well, they were basically underdone. fine. Perfectly edible, albeit crunchy. but I had a lot, so I put half back in for another 20 minutes (they seemed about 1/2 done) to see what would happen. Honestly, not a lot better.

I have to sit down and actually read the article. There must be something I missed in my fast read. These being something healthy that I really like, it's worth a bit of investment of time to figure this out.

No comments: