Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Revisit: Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce

Not truly a do-over, but Sunday night we had our friends Chris & BJ over to watch a movie (Paris, Je T'aime - awesome). I was planning to make more of the tomato sauce and decided to serve it with the gnocchi I had frozen from the last time.

I was a little unsure of how the gnocchi would turn out, this being the first time I've prepared the frozen from the homemade recipe before. I was a bit concerned about the centers not being cooked, or being too dense, or something. Turns out they cooked just as evenly as the fresh stuff, took just a few minutes longer.

The tomato sauce was a quadrupling of the same recipe from the Chopping Block, using a Pinot Noir instead of a white wine. It came out orangish again. Even Chris was surprised that this was not a cream sauce. Hmm. No matter. It was, again, very, very good. And I had 2 quarts left for later use. The wine flavor again wafts through lightly and was recognizable as a red.

I'm now confident enough with this that I'm going to start trying different recipes. I was leafing through my Inside the Eastside cookbook and saw a marinara that looks pretty good, so I'll give that a try next.

No comments: