Friday, January 18, 2008

Do-Over - Lemon Pound Cake

So, following the Tangerine Pound Cake debacle, I had to get back on the horse and try it again. Having used up the tangerines, it was time to go with lemon. I didn't have any fresh citrus in the house, but I had Penzey's Minced Lemon Peel and ReaLemon. I figured that'd be good enough.

By this time, you know where this is going, right?

Nope, of course they weren't good enough.

While I baked the cake for a longer time, the dried zest was awful. Little hard bits in the bake. While I may not have soaked them long enough before mixing in, I think they were just a bad direction to go in in the first place. I hate to waste anything, but I think I need to throw that bottle away.

The interior was still underdone. Not really to the extreme as the Tengerine version, but there was a noticable bit that was underbaked in the center. This is were the "continuity" of the entries gets a bit off. This was actually the point where I realized that the oven needed re-calibration.

Also, we found out that Dee-Dee, our cat, will eat anything. Including pound cake. Stupid cat.

No comments: