Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Red Wine Marinara

I made another pass at tomato sauce and, while I've been happy with my previous attempts, I really knocked it out of the park with this batch.

I used the Eastside Cafe's recipe as a base, tripled it and used 1/2 red wine and 1/2 low sodium chicken broth for the water. The tomatos were Dei Fratelli again and the herbs came from our various plantings. Once it had cooked, I took my immersion blender to it (which I didn't do last time) and brought it to an even, smooth sauce. Absolutely perfect.

The downside is that by tripling the recipe, I had a LOT of sauce. Thank goodness it freezes well.

The recipe is reprinted with the kind permission of the Eastside Cafe.

Carter, Ruth, Elaine Martin & Dorsey Barger. Inside the Eastside: Recipes from the Eastside Cafe' Menu. Austin: Eastside Cafe/Blame Books 1993. p 22. Buy it here (It's now titled Eastside’s Inside Secrets)..

No comments: