Wednesday, October 31, 2007

My Knives

I may have mentioned this already, but I got four new Globals for my birthday and anniversery.
I received:
  • 8" Chef's Knife (G-2)
  • 7" Santoku Knife (G-46)
  • 4 1/2" Utility Knife (GSF-22)
  • 5 1/2" Vegetable Knife (GS-5)

My God, they're sharp. Because of lack space in the knife block, I had to leave them out on the counter because I didn't have the plastic sleeves yet. Yes, scary. But putting them in the drawers seemed more dangerous, as I could see someone sticking their hand in for something else and slicing open a finger. Given my horrible memory, I'd expect that to be me.

But I finally got a nice stainless steel holder mounted under the cabinets and all is good.

The big surprise was needing to re-learn technique. The weight and grips on these are all different from their closest Chicago Cutlery equivilents, so my muscle memory (even that which I just refined in the Knife Skills class) has to be adjusted. Each blade has its strengths, depending on the situation, which I'm just starting to learn.

I'm really liking these a lot. One of my table partners for Meat 101 works at Bed, Bath & Beyond and was making an argument for another brand (I've forgotten the name). Apparently, you can go up even further on the blade hardness scale. But before I put these on my Amazon wish list, I tried several different ones in the different classes and kept coming back to these. Also, they look really, really nice. I'm not above caring about that.

Next up are the Hollow Ground Santoku (G-48 - similar to the other, but with a scalloped blade) and the 10" Chef's Knife (G-16).

No comments: